The annual awards ceremony recognizing the best work in American magazines was held last night in New York. Here’s a digest of the most important stuff:
The big winners:
- Vogue was named magazine of the year.
- The New Yorker won three awards: general excellence, essays and criticism and fiction.
- New York won for design, magazine section and columns and commentary
There were a lot of first-time winners:
- The Atavist, feature writing
- The Hollywood Reporter, general excellence
- Nautilus, general excellence and website
- Pacific Standard, public interest
- The Texas Observer, Multimedia
- Vice News, video
Other random tidbits:
- The Atavist is the first digital-only magazine to win for feature writing.
- They’re called “the Ellies” because each winner gets an elephant trophy, not because of Elle magazine.
- ABC “World News Tonight” anchor David Muir, who hosted the awards, joked that Men’s Health is “the magazine that makes me feel bad about myself,” Politico’s Mike Allen reports.
- If you want to read some of the award-winning work, The Huffington Post’s Catherine Taibi has compiled a list of the winners here.
from Poynter. http://ift.tt/1zDnoGK