Indiana Gov. Mike Pence has told the Indiana press corps that he plans to cancel “Just IN,” a proposed state-run news source that some feared would be used as an end-around the press.
Maureen Hayden, Indiana statehouse bureau chief for Community Newspaper Holdings Inc., tweeted that Pence ordered the website shut down.
IN Gov Pence orders controversial Just IN website terminated. Statehouse press just notified.
— Maureen Hayden (@MaureenHayden) January 29, 2015
News of the proposed site, which was reported by The Indianapolis Star earlier this week, sparked controversy among journalism organizations including the Society of Professional Journalists, which said it would be following the development of the proposed site.
In place of the site, Pence will “update the current public calendar website” run by the state of Indiana, Tim Swarens reports for the Indianapolis Star.
from Poynter. http://ift.tt/1CQ3Hwa